What exactly can you do?
If HOA governance and the way boards operate is going to change, most likely it will come from the ground up. This means you. There are many Grass Roots movements beginning (see our Grass Roots page). If any of these are located in your state, join them now. If not, consider creating your own.
Please send us any links you know about for groups and organizations working to protect homeowner property rights. Even if you only have a link to your site for the members of your association, send us the link, anyway. We will publish all Owner run web sites on our Owner page so people can see how reform begins.
1. Get involved, VOTE in every election, and then run for the board. This is your first and best course of action.
2. Elect reasonable people to the Board of Directors. If they let the power "go to their heads" hold their feet to the fire until you can elect others.
3. Join any group in your state trying to lobby the legislature to change property rights. Get on the Chippi mailing list to stay informed as an advocate. Let your elected representatives know how you feel about HOA abuse--write to them often about what is wrong with HOA legislation. Your input is required.
4. Tell everyone you know NOT to buy into any HOA if they are looking for a home. When people can't sell, the system will break down. Friends don't let friends buy into associations.
5. Tell your stories to others. The more stories that go out, the better our chances of getting legislators to pass better laws and getting the CAI to back off their abusive monopolistic practices. Go here and write a clear story about what happened to you--include the results. Write it here: HOA Trenches
6. Educate yourself. Read everything you can beginning with the HOA Primer. a FREE web book to alert homeowners to the existence of this growing HOA menace within our communities.
Need more support?If you need support for what you are doing, Consider the HOA Warrior Homeowner Kit:
- HOA Warrior - contains 20 Steps you can take to protect yourself, your home and your property rights.
- HOA Warrior II - contains association forms, templates, and sample letters, with instucitons on how to use them
Why is an e-report (digital book) better than a paperback?
You get access to all the information right on your desk top! With the e-reports you can eaisly print all handouts and worksheets when you buy buy e-report I and you have templates and forms to print out in e-report II. I encourage you to share all worksheets and handouts with your neighbors, we want you to succeed!